Researchers from Sotrender analyzed 5,000 Facebook posts created by 130 of the largest brands in the United Kingdom for the last two weeks in February and the last two weeks in April, finding that an average of 179 Facebook fans responded to posts after timeline for pages was introduced, versus 158 before.
Factors analysts took into consideration included: number of posts daily, percentage of engaged users per post, average number of likes and comments per post, and shelf life per post.
Additional positive findings attributed to timeline for pages by Sotrender:
- Posts now live longer on Facebook
- Engagement on posts increased
Timeline had no effect on the following, Sotrender reported:
- Number of posts shared daily
- Percentage of engaged fans per page
- Average number of comments and likes per post
Shelf life was assessed by looking at how long it took for a post to get one-half the total number of likes and comments it received. On average, one-half of the total likes or comments are now received in 2.5 hours. Before the release of timeline for pages, this was reached in less than 60 minutes.
Take-away: A post needs to be visible for a certain amount of time for it to reach its full potential when it comes to attracting likes and comments. Oversaturation can diminish these numbers if too many posts appear too often.
Readers: Do you think Sotrender looked at enough pages and brands to make a fair comparison of engagement before and after the release of timeline for pages?
- Facebook Increases IPO Price Range To $34 To $38 Per Share, Adds More Than 50M Shares
- INFOGRAPHIC: Kraft, Brazil Show Strong Facebook Global Marketing Growth
- Facebook Video Chat App Rounds Launches Social Matching Algorithm
- Buddy Media Soups Up Social Marketing Suite
Social Media Jobs
Let your next job find you!
Jobs of the Day
- Communications Specialist Kellen Company in Atlanta, GA
- Director,Audience Insights High 5 Games in New York, NY
- Social Media Analyst High 5 Games in New York, NY
Hire The Best in Social Media
Tap into our vast network of talented social media pros.
Post a risk-free job listing
May 23-24, 2012 | Berlin
Where Gaming Meets the Social Web
June 3-7, 2012 | San Francisco
Full Coverage Of the Semantic Web, Linked Data, and Big Data
June 26, 2012 | San Francisco
The Business of Mobile Gaming
June 28-29, 2012 | San Francisco
Your How-To Guide for Facebook Marketing
July 31, 2012 | New York City
Visual Communities & Commerce
Mediabistro | SemanticWeb | Inside Network
Jobs | Education | Research | Events | News
Copyright 2012 WebMediaBrands Inc. All rights reserved.